Joe Mentor Jr.
In 2000, Joe Mentor, Jr. founded Mentor Law Group to serve clients with issues related to water resources, land use, natural resource development, real estate transactions, non-profit administration and Indian law. Joe works with private sector businesses, public agencies, and Indian Tribes to achieve their legislative, policy, business and environmental compliance objectives. He also advises private and public sector clients on funding issues and water-related legislation before the Washington State Legislature. Joe has been a featured speaker at various conferences on the topics of: Water Banking, Winery Operations, Water Valuation, and Water Rights and the ESA.
Since 2001, Joe has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Washington Law & Politics magazine. Joe has received the Highest Possible Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS are an objective indicator of a lawyer’s high ethical standards and professional ability, generated from evaluations of lawyers by other members of the bar and the judiciary in the United States and Canada.
Selected Work Experience
- Founding Principal, Mentor Law Group, PLLC, Seattle, Washington (2000-present)
- Partner, Lasher Holzapfel Sperry & Ebberson, PLLC, Seattle, Washington (1995-2000)
- Associate, Lasher Holzapfel Sperry & Ebberson, PLLC, Seattle, Washington (1991-1994)
- Assistant General Counsel, U.S. General Services Administration, Washington, D.C. (1990-1991)
- Minority Chief Counsel and Staff Director, U.S. Senate Select Committee on Indian Affairs, Washington, D.C. (1987-1989)
- Legislative Counsel, U.S. Senator Daniel J. Evans, Washington, D.C. (1983-1987)
- Judicial Law Clerk, Justice James M. Dolliver, Washington Supreme Court, Olympia, Washington (1982)
- Member, Washington State Bar Association (Environmental & Land Use Law)
- Member, Washington Department of Ecology’s Water Resources Advisory Committee (and advisory committees on municipal water rights and instream flows, rainwater harvest and wetlands banking)
- Member, Government Affairs Council of the Associated General Contractors of Washington (1991-present)
- Director, American Water Resources Association, Washington Section (2001-2002)
- Associate Director, Laird Norton Company (2000-2002)
- Member American Water Resources Association, Washington Section
- Trustee, Olympic Park Associates (1993-2002)
- Corporate Secretary (1993-1994) and Corporate Counsel (1993-1996), Building and Design 2000
- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law (1982)
- B.A., History, University of Puget Sound (1979)
- Executive Committee Member and Board Member, Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition (2007-present)
- Citizenship Merit Badge Counselor, Chief Seattle Council, Boy Scouts of America (2003-present)
- Advisory Committee Member, Laird Norton Family Foundation Watershed Fund (2008-present)
- Project Manager, Steve Cox Memorial Park Renovation, King County Parks, White Center, Washington (2007-08)
- First Inductee, King County Parks Volunteer Hall of Fame (2008)
- State Chapter President, American Water Resources Association (2003-04)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- State of Washington
- State of Oregon
- Speaker, Whatcom County: Whatcom Water Banking/ Mitigation (September 24, 2014)
- Speaker, Oregon Natural Desert Association’s Desert Conference: Know Your History, Know Your Desert (September 19-20, 2014)
- Speaker, Law Seminars International: Wine Law in Washington- Water Banking: Opportunities for Wineries (August 8, 2014)
- Speaker, Law Seminars International: Water Law in North Idaho- Lake Coeur d’Alene Management and Spokane River In-Stream Flow Issues (July 28-29, 2014)
- Speaker, 12th Annual Water Law in Washington Conference: Issues and Exemptions (June 3, 2011).
- Speaker, Washington State University’s Conference on Exempt Wells – Problems & Approaches in the Northwest: Managing New Groundwater Appropriations in Upper Kittitas County (May 18, 2011).
- Speaker, Water Law in the Inland Northwest Conference: Exempt Wells: How Are the Issues Playing Out? (March 18, 2011).
- Speaker, 2010 American Water Resources Association Washington State Conference: Suncadia Water Mitigation Bank: Ground Water Exemptions (November 17, 2010).
- Speaker, Winery & Wine Distribution Law: Water Rights and Transactional Tips- Making Money with your Assets and Maximizing Your Bottom Line (August 2, 2010).
- Co-Chair and Speaker, Resolving Interstate Water Conflicts Conference: Interstate Adjudication Processes- Prelude to Interstate Water Allocation, (September 22, 2009).
- Speaker, Winery & Wine Distribution Law Conference: Water Rights, State Water Politics and How they Impact Vineyard Land and Winery Operation (August 3, 2009, August 4, 2008, and August 6, 2007).
- Speaker, 12th Annual Water Law Seminar WSBA CLE: Innovative Strategies for Water Resources Development- Allocation and Mitigation (December 2003).
- Speaker, Growth Management Act, Challenges & Solutions 2002: Water Availability Requirements under Washington Law (November 8, 2002).
- Sponsor, Land Use Law Conference: Reconciling State Water Rights with the Federal Endangered Species Act (2001).
- Speaker, Washington Water Law Conference: Water Rights and Reallocation (2001).
- Speaker, University of Dundee International Specialty Conference: The Changing Value of Water (July 2001).
- Speaker, University of Dundee International Specialty Conference: Trading Water, Trading Places: Water Marketing in Chile and the Western United States, Scotland (July 2001).
- Speaker, Washington APA Annual Conference: Water Resources Planning (2000).
- “ESA and Water Rights” Washington Land Use Law 2000 (April 2000).
- Speaker, Washington State Bar Association Fall Real Estate Conference: Water Rights (November 1999).
- Speaker, Law Seminars International: Washington Water Law 1999 (May 1999).